The Friends of the Platt, Inc. support the Platt Memorial Library
The Platt Memorial Library in Shoreham, Vermont offers a wide range of books and materials in it's collection as well as extensive services for any and all. Located on the village green in Shoreham it is a focal point of this community.
There are books and magazines, CDs and DVDs to borrow. It's also possible to download ebooks and audiobooks through the library. There is free wifi available 24/7 (so even if the library is closed, wifi is available near the building) and several public computers for all to use. In recent years the Friends helped with a large extension to the original 1906 building, giving lots of room for browsing, sitting quietly or holding small meetings. There are movie nights and other events throughout the year. In the summer months the Platt hosts a wide variety of children's activities. The list goes on and on! Feel free to visit the library's own website for more details.
The library is supported by the Town of Shoreham and the Friends of the Platt add to that support through fundraising for special projects and improvements. In addition to hosting the annual events mentioned on this website, the Friends of the Platt have been involved in the following projects, present and past:
- Currently providing matching funds for a grant received from the Vermont Division for Historic Preservation which has been awarded for the renovation of the library’s historic north facing portico and marble stairs, which are badly in need of repair.
- The next plan is the remodeling of the children's room at the library, the last of the 'old' rooms in the original building.
- Involved in multiple fundraising events over many years in order to help finance the construction of the extension to the library. Construction was completed in 2012.
- Hosted two Kiss The Pig contests, getting the entire community involved!
- Created the now infamous 'Shoreham Uncovered' Calendar of 2009! A Vermont Community Bares All for Books.
- Several Art Raffles, featuring prominent Shoreham artists, including Joe Bolger, Malon Teachout and Deborah Holmes. This year we're pleased to add Norton LaTourelle to that list! (See the librarian for raffle tickets for this great prize!)
- Helped to fund the remodeling of The Vermont Room, now housing our extensive historical collection and allowing for a small meeting space.
get involved with the FRIENDS
Would you like to join us? Donate. Volunteer. Join us for our fundraising events. All are welcome!